Disability Specialist (Toronto, ON)
People Corporation is an entrepreneurial company with a passion for driving change and innovation. The company is looking to continue to drive its rapid growth by seeking a Bilingual Disability Services Specialist (DSS) to provide effective support to our client services and sales teams.
Working closely with the Account Executives, Benefit Consultants and the Client Management servicing team, the DSS will ensure that client focused support and service is being provided. The DSS reports to the Director of Disability and is responsible for providing “Concierge” service to clients via telephone and email. This includes day to day management of client requests, claim activities and the ongoing general administration and maintenance of documentation regarding these activities.
In addition, this role will be required to participate in other projects and tasks as assigned that may include analysis, producing reports and generating solutions in audit reports, conduct case assessments, medical management interventions, initiation and coordination of assessments, utilization of specialized resources or consultants, and other supporting functions within this emerging business unit.
This position requires an individual with a positive, can-do attitude and approach and that wants to be a “builder” working in a fast paced environment. Industry knowledge of various carriers and claims payors is an asset. The successful candidate will need to be able to multi-task numerous items and think creatively with a solutions oriented focus.
- Handle all incoming inquiries from clients, sales consultants/brokers and other staff in a timely manner. Conduct follow-ups when necessary.
- Day-to-day management of client requests, disability/life claims activities, and the ongoing general administration and maintenance of the documentation regarding these activities.
- Interact with customers to provide information in response to inquiries about pending/denied claims.
- Provides customer service support to the organization by obtaining, analyzing and verifying the accuracy of information in a timely manner.
- Set up of Disability/Life claims and the administration and customer service and support to the account executives.
- Face to face or conference call meetings as required for case updates with clients, consultants and AM’s
- Assist clients with disability/life claims process flow
- Enter Survivor Benefits, Wavier of Premiums and reinstatement premiums
- Creation and maintenance of required disability reports, as required by clients
- Ensure necessary client tools are provided to Plan Administrator once requested.
- Assist in preparing process flow for employee/Plan Administrator presentations for disability.
- Initiate required action for response to customer service requests within time requirements.
- Initiates and/or implements corrective action as needed in order to ensure that an excellent standard of service and a high level of customer satisfaction are maintained.
- Obtaining carrier processes for disability/Life claims and timeframes
- Liaison between employer/employee and carriers to ensure a smooth claim process
- Assisting clients in filling out disability/life forms
- Verifying incorrect salaries on disability forms with Plan administrator
- Sending Out approvals/declined letters to clients
- Ensuring clients have the right forms for disability and life claims
- Ensure claims are submitted within defined SLA’s
- Address any CSS questions with regards to disability/life/waivers
- Tracking all claims, and following up with carriers, employers and employees where necessary
- Obtaining Additional information from client when asked by the carrier
- Bilingual (French & English) considered a strong asset but not required
- You have 3 years+ industry knowledge and experience in Disability Management or combination of experience and education
- You have a registered professional status within the disability management or professional health sector along with additional course work in occupational health, rehabilitation, legislation related to disability management, human resource management, or disability insurance
- CDMP or NIDMAR would be an asset.
- You are willing and able to be an advocate for employer/employee vs. carriers
- You have a good understanding of benefit administration systems
- You have a passion to be a part of a strong team dynamics in an office setting
- You are proficient with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Outlook
- You are detailed and systems oriented
- You are a proactive professional, always willing to be on the top of emerging best practices for your areas of responsibility
- You have strong multi-tasking and organizational skills
- You actively embrace and manage change
- You have a high level of productivity while ensuring standards are upheld