Database Administrator (Winnipeg, MB)
We are in the people business, dedicated to helping Canadian companies and their valued employees. At People Corporation we make a difference in the lives of more than one million Canadian employees and their families, by providing employee group benefits, wellness solutions, group retirement and pension solutions, and HR services.
A Database Administrator (DBS) is responsible for the performance, integrity and security of a database. In this role, you’ll be involved in the planning and development of the database, as well as in troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users.
We are seeking a technically skilled Database Administrator who is capable of holding a position of great responsibility. Being both an administrative and technical role, the Database Administrator should display both sound technical skills and administrative aptitude. You should have extensive knowledge of the databases under your administration, be the first respondent to database problems that arise and carry out periodic maintenance and troubleshooting. In addition, Database Administrators are analytic problem-solvers and communicators who are fluent in most data manipulation languages.
- Monitoring system performance and identifying problems that arise
- Establish the needs of users and monitor user access and security
- Map out the conceptual design for a planned database
- Consider both back-end organisation of data and front-end accessibility for end-users
- Refine the logical design so that it can be translated into a specific data model
- Further refining the physical design to meet system storage requirements
- Install and test new versions of the database management system (DBMS)
- Write database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
- Control access permissions and privileges
- Develop, manage and test back-up and recovery plans
- Ensure that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly
- Carry out capacity planning
- Communicate regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security
- Manage the security and disaster recovery aspects of a database
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ years MS SQL Server Administration experience required
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory
- Must have a teamwork focused attitude and be skilled at building relationships within IT organizations and across business functions
- Strong technical documentation skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills to enable productivity in a fast-paced, dynamic development environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams
Submit your application in confidence to the attention of Brad Robertson.