Data Integration (ETL) Developer (Winnipeg, MB)
We are in the people business, dedicated to helping Canadian companies and their valued employees. At People Corporation we make a difference in the lives of more than one million Canadian employees and their families, by providing employee group benefits, wellness solutions, group retirement and pension solutions, and HR services.
The Data Integration (ETL) Developer is responsible for designing data storage systems. They perform the work required to fill those systems with the data that needs to be stored. ETL stands for “extract, transform, load,” which is the process of loading business data into a data warehousing environment (or similar target system), testing it for performance, and troubleshooting it before it goes live. As a Data Integration Developer, you must be an expert at taking a big-picture view of the company’s data situation to come up with comprehensive data storage solutions.
- Assist with the selection and installation of an enterprise ETL tool
- Establish and support standards for system architecture, code quality and collaborative team development
- Defining new data collection and analysis processes
- Working alongside teams within the business or the management team to establish business needs
- Perform impact analysis for interface/system changes affecting the applications and data environment
- Interpret data, analyze results using statistical techniques and provide ongoing reports
- Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain databases/data systems
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Filter and “clean” data by reviewing reports, printouts, and performance indicators to locate and correct code problems
- Develop and perform detailed unit, quality assurance and regression tests to validate the readiness of internal developed code for production
- Monitor/ensure acceptable levels of system performance, integrity and security
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum ten years’ experience with ETL tools, concepts and processes such as data migration, database conversion, data mining or data analysis.
- Senior to expert level knowledge of ETL processes/design as well as data modeling, both relational and dimensional.
- Senior to expert level knowledge in supporting ETL, production data operations (File processing, data distribution etc.,) including debugging, addressing production issues, performance tuning and performing root cause analysis.
- Strong MS SQL Server development skills with experience writing SQL scripts, dynamic SQL, complex stored procedures and functions.
- Ability to use SQL development tools such as SQL Navigator and Toad as well as maintain code in source code control systems.
- Knowledge of proper database normalization, indexing, transaction protection and locking is essential.
- Experience with database design/modeling tools such as Erwin.
- Extensive experience in ETL design/development with ETL tools such as Informatica, SSIS, Talend, etc. Experience with selecting these types of tools is also an asset.
- Experience in windows batch scripting and scheduling jobs using job scheduling tools.
- Thorough understanding of the software development life cycle and experience in working with geographically distributed teams.
- Must have a teamwork focused attitude and be skilled at building relationships within IT organizations and across business functions.
- Strong technical documentation skills.
- Strong time management and organizational skills to enable productivity in a fast-paced, dynamic development environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Submit your application in confidence to the attention of Brad Robertson.