Corporate Controller (Winnipeg, MB)
We are in the people business, dedicated to helping Canadian companies and their valued employees. At People Corporation we make a difference in the lives of more than one million Canadian employees and their families, by providing employee group benefits, wellness solutions, group retirement and pension solutions, and HR services.
To support our growing business and strategic plan, we are currently seeking a Corporate Controller to join our high-performing Finance team in our in Winnipeg, Manitoba head office. Reporting to our Vice President, Finance – Corporate, you will partner with departments across the organization to provide support and drive our financial processes and results. You are enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and are known to roll up your sleeves to go beyond expectations in a fast-paced environment.
This role will be responsible for the overall management and success of the full-cycle operational accounting team. You will ensure that timely and relevant information to guide decision-making is provided to internal and external leaders and stakeholders of the Company. You will play a pivotal role in our accounting team where you will work on general ledger/ full-cycle accounting functions, performance management and financial analysis, and financial reporting.
You will be part of a tenured team of accountants in an entrepreneurial and high-growth organization. This is an exciting role for someone who wants to be part of an exceptional team with a great support structure in place to ensure success and career progression.
Full-Cycle Accounting Process
- Leads and manages the transactional accounting function to ensure that transactions are recorded per the Company’s policies.
- Acts as the key member of the period-end close process through ownership of the general ledger accounting, including reviewing transactional batches, posting journal entries, reviewing account reconciliations, balancing inter-company accounts, and other tasks as relevant to the close process.
- Supports the Vice President, Finance – Corporate in daily operational accounting functions, including cash management, invoice review, management reporting, and other needs as they arise.
- Collaborates with the Manager, Finance Systems on finance system-related issues relevant to the transactional accounting team, including: setting up new general ledger accounts; report automation; system upgrades; and software troubleshooting.
- Leads the integration efforts of newly acquired entities into the Sage 300 environment and supports implementation of the Company’s policies and procedures.
- Leads the external audit process through the preparation of variance analysis, supporting working papers, and liaising between external auditors and operational accounting.
- Supports the performance management function by playing a key role in the budgeting and forecasting process
- Performing key revenue and expense analysis and variance explanations
- Preparing consolidated financial reports on a monthly and quarterly basis
- Additional ad-hoc reporting and analysis, such as sales reporting, as required by Management and the Board.
- Works collaboratively to support the preparation of the Company’s financial statements and reporting packages.
- Initiates and leads process improvements for the team
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships in a cross-functional environment, including operational leaders and executives
- Additional duties as assigned to support the Corporate Finance function
- Recognized professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA).
- 7+ years of progressive and relevant accounting experience, preferably in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with leadership responsibilities and significant accountabilities.
- Experience with accounting software (SAGE 300).
- Solid understanding of International Financial Reporting Standards, internal control frameworks, and applicable regulations.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Detail oriented, and skilled in time management and task prioritization.